With all the excitement of the Federal Budget and the myriad pre-budget announcements, a lot of people missed the changes to the Commercial Tenancy (COVID-19 Response) Regulations 2020, which took effect on and from 30 September 2020.
The key points are:
- The emergency period and the operation of the regulations and the Act, have been extended to 31 March 2021;
- Rent still cannot be increased for tenants which are eligible for Jobkeeper 2.0, but can otherwise;
- Aboriginal Corporations are now specifically included as small businesses, having arguably being omitted previously;
- Previously prohibited action can be taken against insolvent, non-eligible tenants who breach a lease on or after 30 September, but with leniency provisions relating to insolvency also in force, this is very problematic; and
- Rent relief must be given as before, if requested by an eligible tenant, but calculations are month by month.
If you found this article helpful, please consider providing a Google Review and/or like us on Facebook and LinkedIn. For help with COVID-19 regulations and Commercial Tenancies, see Michael Paterson & Associates.