Tag Archive: solicitors

Wills with Tax Benefits

December 5, 2019

We have been finalising wills for a couple with a large combined estate, however, the wife will not have much in her estate if she pre-deceases her husband, because most of her assets are in super. We have worded her...

Read more

Help with a Deceased Estate

November 28, 2019

This week we received a referral from another lawyer to prepare the paperwork necessary to effect a transfer of one third of a property from a deceased estate to one beneficiary, in specie, i.e by direct transfer, and for the...

Read more

Family Provision Disputes

November 21, 2019

I went to a 4 hour seminar on Family Provision actions on Tuesday, in which relatives of the deceased claim to have special need that was not adequately provided for by the deceased. It covered recent decisions, superannuation and life...

Read more

YouTube Copyright Dispute

September 26, 2019

This week we received an enquiry about a breach of copyright. Our  client claims to own the copyright in several documentaries which have been posted on YouTube At least 3 individuals have posted films on YouTube without permission. There have...

Read more

Heritage Commercial Property Sub-Lease

September 12, 2019

This week I’ve been helping a client negotiate a sub-lease of a heritage-listed commercial property. I am a bit concerned because the landlord is somewhat notorious. However, my client feels that he is in a reasonably strong position, partly because...

Read more

Dispute Over Unpaid Invoices

September 5, 2019

I received a call during the week from the daughter of a gentleman who has taken out his own summons in the Magistrates Court, chasing over $62k in unpaid invoices. A trial is listed for April, but various orders have...

Read more

Guardianship and Administration Order

September 4, 2019

What to do when a loved one has Alzheimer’s and is incapable of looking after themselves or making decisions: You would need to obtain a Guardianship and Administration Order to appoint you or another trusted individual as their guardian and...

Read more

Speedy Settlement

August 29, 2019

An old client came to us last week seeking independent advice on loan contract, guarantees and mortgages being given as security for a loan. The deal involved borrowing just over $175k for 6 months, but only receiving $150k after application...

Read more

A Heavy-Handed Section 69 Notice – Fair Trading Act

August 22, 2019

Michael met with a lady who had recently sold some vacant land. The buyer was not happy about the sewer line on which she could not build and reported the matter to the Department of Commerce. The Department is now investigating...

Read more

Case Summary of Porter -v- Steinberg [2019] WASC 291

August 16, 2019

In this case, the Applicant lived in a lower floor unit in a Strata development. The Respondents living in the unit immediately above the Applicant’s unit, removed carpet and replaced the flooring with tiles. The Applicant took action in the...

Read more